This accessibility statement relates only to the Benefits Checker created by the Department for Work and Pensions using the Shorthand platform and hosted at dwp-benefits-checker.shorthandstories.com
We want as many people as possible to be able to use this tool. For example, that means you should be able to:
- change colours, contrast levels and fonts
- zoom in up to 300% without the text spilling off the screen
- navigate most of the tool using just a keyboard
- navigate most of the tool using speech recognition software
- listen to most of the tool using a screen reader (including the most recent versions of JAWS, NVDA and VoiceOver)
We have also made the website text as simple as possible to understand.
The accessibility of the Benefits Checker
We are not aware of any accessibility problems with the tool.
Reporting accessibility problems with this tool
We are always looking to improve the accessibility of this tool. If you find any problems or think we are not meeting accessibility requirements, please contact us using the contact form on the GOV.UK website.
- Please ensure that you indicate that the problem you are experiencing is with the Benefits Checker tool.
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is responsible for enforcing the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 (the ‘accessibility regulations’). If you are not happy with how we respond to your complaint, contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS).
Technical information about this tool's accessibility
The Department for Work and Pensions is committed to making this tool accessible, in accordance with the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.
This tool is fully compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1 AA standard.
How we tested the tool
This tool was last tested in September 2021. The testing was carried out by staff in the Department for Work and Pensions.
We used this approach to decide on a sample of pages to test:
- We tested the home page and a representative selection of three other pages from the tool.
We tested the following pages:
- DWP Benefits Checker: What could you claim?
- Note: Tax credits and Universal Credit
- Step 3: What could you claim?
This statement was prepared on 11 March 2021. It was last updated on 30 September 2021.