Note: What could you claim?

Note: Tax credits and Universal Credit

Universal Credit replaces six benefits with one monthly payment, including working and child tax credits. 

  • If you currently receive tax credits from HMRC then please be aware that if you submit a claim for Universal Credit, your tax credit award will end immediately.
  • If your tax credit award ends, it cannot be re-opened and it will not be possible to make a new tax credit claim in the future.
  • If you are an existing tax credit claimant, this does not automatically mean you will be eligible to receive Universal Credit.
  • If you claim Working Tax Credit you may not be eligible for New Style Employment and Support Allowance (ESA).
  • Claiming Child Tax Credit would not make you ineligible for New Style ESA.

Previous answers

  • You answered for Step 2: “I currently claim tax credits”
  • You answered for Step 1: “I am between 18 and the State Pension Age”


The information you provide by using this Benefits Checker is not retained by the Department for Work and Pensions. The information you submit is only used to ensure that this tool provides you with the appropriate guidance.

You will not be asked for any personally identifying information by the Department for Work and Pensions, unless or until you submit a claim for a benefit via the GOV.UK website.

The Department for Work and Pension’s Personal information charter explains how we treat your personal information.


Read the Accessibility Statement for this tool.